Grokbase Groups Perl xs June 2006

Florian Weimer writes:
I'm trying to implement an encryption layer using PerlIO (in C, not
using PerlIO::via). Is it correct that I shouldn't provide yet another
line discipline like PerlIO::encoding, but a completely new lowest layer (like
the "unix" layer) which happens to use another file handle in its
implementation? After all, the encryption layer is completely opaque as
far as line translation, buffering etc. are concerned, and there doesn't
seem to be a more direct way to encode this in the PerlIO abstraction.
You could add encryption with an encoding-like layer.
Depending on what you are trying to do and your security concerns
it may make sense to have it as a low level lay (below buffering).

I don't see why it has to replace :unix layer though - it could go just above.

groupxs @
categoriesperl
postedJun 13, '06 at 9:31a
activeJun 26, '06 at 7:23p