On 8 Mar 2000, Johan Vromans wrote:

John Nolan <jpnolan@sonic.net> writes:
My only question is this: Why can't the existing CPAN utilities
for processing module tarballs be retrofitted for script tarballs?
The work required for making this happen has got to be exceedingly small.
Or am I missing something? I've never understood what the obstacle
actually is.
Neither did I.

While we think that a script is just a plain (Perl) file, its
distribution involves just a little bit more. For example, a script
needs to be installed and, at least, the leading #! line needs to be
adjusted to the local Perl installation. The script can contain the
documentation in POD, but an acompanying README would be mandatory
since that is the first document you read to decide whether you are
going to use, even download, the kit.

Also, some kind of verification that the script actually runs and
produces the correct results should be included. By this time, we have
exactly what the modules tarballs have, or should have ;-).
[snip]

Hi,
I have a script, sdist, under the CPAN category of the scripts
archive, that does some of the stuff that h2xs does for creating
module distribution templates - it creates skeleton README, MANIFEST,
INSTALL, and Makefile.PL files, as well as a template with
various pod headings for the script itself. A t/ subdirectory
is also created for which test scripts can be included.
This can then be used to create a distribution (via 'make dist'
or 'make zipdist'), which one can use to install scripts via
the same procedure as for modules - this puts scripts in the
usual place, adjusts #! for the local configuration, etc. This
though addresses the user end of things - the software processing
these on CPAN won't recognize them as script distributions yet.

best regards,
randy kobes

groupscripts @
categoriesperl