Scripts->Perl->Distribution("with less effort");

I think we have waited too long for some tar ball concept to wrap up sets of
files.

In fact, all we need is something to wrap a small set of text files.

That is what Perl does best -- text processing.

How about an extract / insert script which self-extracts as a perl program.

By default it would self-extract the insert perl program which builds the
self-extracting files.

extract.pl extract.pl --> produces insert.pl

So a download of this script gives you the insert

Then we are back to distributing only scripts in the spirit of scripts, only
text so there is no difficult handling. Any script can be self-extracting
immediately for everyone to use.

It took a few minutes to write but it works. It could be extended by others
efforts if they need to extract and do something with each file.

Sincerely,

David

David Scott
Project Leader, BioInformatics