----- Original Message ----

From: Carl Mäsak <cmasak@gmail.com>
To: Paul Simon <getpsimon@yahoo.com>
Cc: perl6-users@perl.org
Sent: Sun, November 22, 2009 11:08:45 AM
Subject: Re: trouble building rakudo

Paul (>):
I try building rakudo from git clone git://github.com/rakudo/rakudo.git but
during make it hangs forever (12+ hours) at
/usr/local/bin/parrot perl6_s1.pbc --target=pir src/gen_setting.pm >
src/gen_setting.pir
While it hangs at that line the linux (Debian 5.0 Lenny) box starts lots of
swapping activity.
Anybody have any ideas what might be happening?
Yes, that step is pretty resource-intensive.

From your description, it sounds like Rakudo could use a little more
memory during compilation. On my computer, that compile step takes
about 3 minutes, and sucks up about 750 MB of RAM. My guess is that
you have less than that free when you're building Rakudo.

// Carl
The system has only 256 MB with few resources being used. That's a big difference
between 12+ hours and 3 minutes! Maybe I should invest in more RAM :-)

groupperl6-users @
categoriesperl
postedNov 22, '09 at 3:36p
activeNov 22, '09 at 9:49p