Chip Salzenberg writes:
You mean, 'building outside of the source dir'? If so, three cheers.
I'm in the habit of keeping sources in /u/src/foo/bar and building in
/u/build/foo/bar with symlink /u/build/foo/bar/SRC -> /u/src/foo/bar.
I've found that lndir (from the X11 distribution) works very well. When
I build something, I unpack the original sources into "foo-X.Y" and then
make a directory "OS-foo-X.Y" (where OS is SunOS, IRIX, etc.). Remove
write permission on foo-X.Y, run "lndir ../foo-X.Y" and builds can
happen in OS-foo-X.Y without any chance of screwing up the originals.
The nice part of this approach is that it doesn't require any support
from the build tools at all.

- Ken

--
Ken Fox, kfox@ford.com, (313)59-44794
Ford Motor Company, Powertrain | "Is this some sort of trick

groupperl6-porters @
categoriesperl
postedApr 29, '00 at 7:04a
activeMay 6, '00 at 1:20a