On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 11:04:19PM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
You mean, 'building outside of the source dir'? If so, three cheers.
I'm in the habit of keeping sources in /u/src/foo/bar and building in
/u/build/foo/bar with symlink /u/build/foo/bar/SRC -> /u/src/foo/bar.
Speaking up as a satisfied cons user, I maintain the build environment
for a moderately complex project at work. I made the decision to use
cons rather than make, and haven't regretted it yet.

Cons has problems. (Fortunately, one of the larger ones -- the fact that
it's pretty hard to use if you don't know Perl -- isn't going to apply
here.) It is, however, vastly better than make at managing complex
build trees. It has superb dependancy tracking, and it handles building
outside the source dir very well indeed. (Personally, I keep my objects
in /tmp, since my home directory is on a very slow NFS server.)

The only reason that I hesitated to recommend it here before is that
the concept of using a build tool written in Perl seemed to pose certain
chicken-and-egg problems. :> I'm not certain how much work it will take
to make cons work with miniperl. You'll need to address the way it does
dependancies, at the least -- cons requires the Digest::MD5 module. (A
source of constant annoyance to me; I dearly wish this module was
standard.)

- Damien

groupperl6-porters @
categoriesperl