Russ Allbery writes:
: FWIW, from the standards front, the next revision of the news standards
: will almost certainly be standardizing on UTF-8 as the character set for
: headers (headers being particularly tricky since while you can use MIME to
: specify a character set for the body, doing the same thing for the headers
: requires relying on header order, which isn't a good idea), mostly based
: on the expectation that the next revision of mail will do the same thing.

Just glancing through my spam mailbox, I'd say that the vast majority of
international messages either misuse or fail to use MIME.

: If we're right about where mail is going, and we haven't had objections
: from the IETF at least so far, that's a pretty big chunk of text-based
: Internet protocol that's going to UTF-8.

Well, I hope they enforce it. We're starting to get all sorts of
gobbledygook in the subjects of mail messages. I'd love it if mailers
rejected messages whose headers contain illegal UTF-8 sequences.

Larry

groupperl6-porters @
categoriesperl
postedFeb 4, '00 at 4:35a