According to Larry Wall:
Chip Salzenberg writes:
: So: The _string_encoding_ state of each OP must be one of these:
: 0. the default -- follow each string's current encoding
: 1. "use byte" -- all strings are one-byte
: 2. "use utf8" -- all strings are UTF-8 (*not* necessarily Unicode!)
There is no 2.
<reads perllocale.pod>
Oh.
I have shamed p5p by not R'ing TFM.
For penance, I shall re-implement Perl in C++.
I would actually like to avoid locales if at all possible.
I'm allowed to drop only deprecated features. Should C<use locale> be
documented as being, eventually, doomed? Or shall we just mention it
in the release notes? }:-)
: use charset 'iso10646'; == force ISO 10646 (Unicode superset)
Not really a superset anymore, unless you're into defining your own
characters outside of U+10FFFF.
I don't understand... Could someone point me to a description of the
current Unicode <-> ISO 10646 relationship?
I think if we ever do support fixed-width wide characters in Perl
internally, we might just jump straight to 32 bits.
"SUBSCRIBE"
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <chip@valinux.com>
"He's Mr. Big of 'Big And Tall' fame." // MST3K

groupperl6-porters @
categoriesperl
postedFeb 4, '00 at 4:35a
activeFeb 5, '00 at 8:07p