On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 17:20 -0700, yary wrote:
Adjectives and nouns aren't English-only. So Damian's proposal is
multi-culti. One could argue that Perl's identifiers, keywords, etc
are based on English so that it is more difficult for a non-English
speaker to discern why underscore is used in some places and hyphens
in other. The solution to that would be rote memorization of method
names, including "_" and "-" in the spelling. Not ideal, but most
likely what many English speaking programmers would do too. And would
cuss over.
And there's the rub for me. One of the goals of Perl 6 is to reduce the
amount of rote memorization of special cases that Perl 5 required. Any
mixed use of _ and - in the standard setting defies that goal.

(FWIW, I don't really care which is used -- I see arguments for both --
but I do firmly believe the standard setting should only use one or the
other. Damian's Temporal example in which only one method used a
different separator made the rules-versus-exceptions part of my brain
scream for mercy.)

-'f