sn@neopoly.de [sn@neopoly.de] quoth:
*>
*>I just setup a new Ultra 10 (clone):
*>
*>Installed a fresh Solaris 7 (german).
*>
*>I applied all the latest solaris patches as of 09/03/1999.
*>"uname -a" output after patching:
*>SunOS bronco 5.7 Generic_106541-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-Engine
*>
*>I downloaded gcc 2.95.1 from sunfreeware.com.
*>
*>I got perl 5.005_03 from CPAN (I built it successfully on Linux).
*>
*>I compiled it with "./configure -des -Dcc=gcc".
*>"make" went just fine.

Since I justt installed 2.95.1 recently and have Solaris 7 I had to
run and check this for myself.

SunOS chaos 5.7 Generic_106541-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
(minor patch rev behind)

gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)
(built it myself)

I was able to build and test pe arl without trouble using the defaults as
well. I do know someone who has IIi sparc that has much trouble getting
64-bit applications to compile and I generally do it for them with
Sparcworks 5. More than likely the gcc package was made with gcc on
another architecture and may not be suitable..I wouldn't trust it anyway.

Run configure again and see if you notice anything weird. I noticed that
db.h didn't get found on this particular pass,but I forgot to add the
path. If that doesn't reveal anything you might try and build gcc from
scratch. And sunfreeware has a non-threaded-32bit package if you lose
hope.

Of course, there is always the possibility that sun broke something on the
last patch cluster...

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedSep 7, '99 at 1:33p