On that note someone mentioned to me that all it takes is someone with a
commit bit to be willing to act as release manager for a special release of
older versions to make it happen. I do not have a commit bit, but if I were
willing to act as a release manager for a special maint release of 5.8-5.16
would that be workable? Note I am just asking at this point, not sure I
would be able to commit the time to it yet.

Even then though, chances of everyone upgrading to a new 5.8 are pretty
slim, so I am not sure it would be worth it. I still have to support the
versions with the broken behavior regardless.

-Chad