From: Ken Williams
To: Michael G Schwern
Cc: Tom.Dinger@Scansoft.com; perlbug-followup@perl.org
Sent: 7/6/2005 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [perl #27052] File::Spec->canonpath("a\\..\\..\\b") returns
wrong value for Win 32

On Jul 6, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:06:19PM -0500, Ken Williams wrote:
On Jul 6, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Michael G Schwern via RT wrote:

[tomdinger - Tue Feb 24 10:15:24 2004]:
Under Windows (using File::Spec::Win32), the call
File::Spec->canonpath('a\\..\\..\\b\\c') returns the wrong value:
'b\\c'.
It should return '..\\b\\c'.
Hey Ken, want to have a look at this? There's a patch and
everything!
If Win32 is going to be handled like Unix, then it should return the
input verbatim (".." is not cleaned up). Is there a reason it should
be different on Win32?
That's not the issue. b\c is right out wrong. Examine the path
closer.

a\..\..\b\c

"a\.." cancels out leaving "..\b\c".
Right, I understand the bug, I'm just trying to get the right fix.
Note that I suggested that it return that particular input string
verbatim.
PS Offhand the reason I can think for cleaning up .. on Win32 is
because it
tends to not have symlinks to worry about so a\..\a\ should equal a\
"tends not to" isn't a good enough reason in this case. If it treats
them differently, though, that might be a good enough reason.

-Ken

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl
postedJul 6, '05 at 9:00p