The question in my mind is the namespace. I'd like your
advice before I release them. I had a chat with Andreas
Koenig whom I know from my older Perl Porters days and
he suggested I send the information to you.

The packages in question are ones for doing a fairly
sophisticated logging and fault management system. The
Logger works via a delegate class to put logs and
faults just about anywhere. stdout, syslog, a local mysql
database or a mysql database via web cgi scripts on a
remote machine which meets some simple criteria. The
LoggerDelegate 'protocol' is quite simple so it is easy
to write your own special purpose ones. What is special
about this package is that it is not just a static logger,
but intended for raising and clearing fault messages in
a remote database. I have been using it for critical
system management.

Now the namespace issue. For convenience I have heretofor
kept things in DMA (my initials). Thus this package is in
DMA::Logger, and the delegates are in DMA::Logger::LoggerDelegate.

DMA:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm FSM.pm ISODate.pm
ldconfig.pm LoggerDelegate LoggerDelegate.pm Logger.pm
Version.pm

DMA/LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

I am wondering if I would be better off with a namespace like
this:

Logger.pm
LoggerDelegate.pm

Logger:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm ISODate.pm

LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

or perhaps:

Logger.pm

Logger:
Dbh.pm DebugPrinter.pm ErrorHandler.pm ISODate.pm
ldconfig.pm LoggerDelegate LoggerDelegate.pm

Logger/LoggerDelegate:
DB.pm File.pm SimpleHttp.pm Simple.pm Syslog.pm

for release? Your advice would be welcome.

groupmodules @
categoriesperl
postedApr 27, '08 at 10:56a
activeApr 29, '08 at 10:25a