Grokbase Groups Perl modules May 2000
Name: Mark Ethan Trostler
Email: mark@zzo.com
homepage: http://www.zzo.com
USER ID: MET-ZZO
Desc: A module for Perl/Java interaction
Name: Java.pm
DSLI: bdoO
Info: MET-ZZO

More Info:
I've been using this Module for a while - it lets you do things like:
my $java = new Java;
my $frame = $java->create_object("java.awt.Frame","My Frame");
$frame->setSize(400,400);
$frame->show;

& you can register for events on your object which will be propagated back
to Perl5 & sent to your registered event handler, set & get fields, use
static Classes & basically all the stuff you'd expect.
It does require a JVM 'server' piece which is written compatible with JDKs
1.1 an 1.2.
Of course the 'server' piece does not even need to be running on the same
machine as this Perl5 front end piece - allowing you to say stuff like:
my $java = new Java(host => "some.other.host.com", port => 2344);
& then continue as usual & all yer command will show up on the remote
machine.
It's fully documented via POD and the Java piece is also fully documented
via javadoc.
I think it's slicker than the current stuff out there - for what it's
worth of course.
It has been on my website http://www.zzo.com for a while & have got some
good feedback.
I've been lagging trying to get this on CPAN but now's a good time!
Thanks,
Mark

Mark Ethan Trostler Senior Consultant
mark@zzo.com ZZO Associates