On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 02:59:41PM +0000, Matthew Astley wrote:
As you're well under the magic 1.00 version number, you could probably
just change it and mention this in the release notes. Giving useful
error messages will ease the transition.

I tend to imagine that anyone pointint a 0.03 module at a real bank
account will be reading every line and subsequent diff!
I don't think it's wise to assume any connection between a module's version
and its stability, unless the documentation explicitly says so. For
example, there was a lot of attention when Moose hit 1.00, but it meant
nothing - it was simply the next version after 0.99. Test-Simple just
had the same thing happen to it last month, too.

I release new distributions starting at 0.001 and increment from then on,
but that doesn't mean that it's unstable. I *might* do a major version
bump if there is a non-backwards-compatible change to the API, but more
likely I'd expose the changes through an import variable instead.

If we didn't rely on any module in cpan that had a version under 1.0, we'd
have a very very limited selection of modules indeed.

groupmodule-authors @
categoriesperl
postedDec 19, '13 at 5:33p
activeDec 26, '13 at 8:13p