Why does one need a Makefile.PL to evaluate the distribution? One should be
able to run it just fine with 'prove -lr t', 'perl -Ilib t/foo.t' etc.

However, that README doesn't sound right -- that sounds tailored towards
developers (which really belongs in something like CONTRIBUTING), whereas a
README should be targeted towards *users* -- containing instructions that
users need to install and run the distribution. (This is the type of
content what the core [Readme] plugin generates.)