Hi Peter,

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:18:16 +0200
Peter Makholm wrote:
In some cases just getting the average runtime from a benchmark isn't
really informative. Unfortunately this is all that we get from
Benchmark.pm

I have created a module giving a bit more information, currently
available on github:

https://github.com/pmakholm/benchmark-statistics-perl

Basically it just runs some code a couple of times and feeds the data to
Shlomi Fish's Statistics::Descriptive with the posibility of printing
some basic statistics. The API should be "not quite unlike" Benchmark.pm
but the output quite different.
Well, first of all I'd like to note that while I am Statistics::Descriptive's
maintainer, I did not originate it. The copyright still reads:

<quote>

Copyright (c) 1997,1998 Colin Kuskie. All rights reserved. This program is free
software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl
itself.

Copyright (c) 1998 Andrea Spinelli. All rights reserved. This program is free
software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl
itself.

Copyright (c) 1994,1995 Jason Kastner. All rights reserved. This program is
free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as
Perl itself.

</quote>
Would this be of general interest (i.e. should I push it to CPAN?)
I'd say go for it.
I'm no statistics expert so I'm also a bit worried I'm sticking my hand
in a hornets nest requiring me to defending soem shoole of creating
benchmarks.
1. What is shoole? http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=shoole
cannot find anything.

2. I guess that uploading something partial may encourage people to improve on
it further.
I think it is to orthogonal from the data repported by Benchmark.pm to
be included in there?

And finally, it's almost all too simple. But having something simple on
CPAN might provoke someone knowledge into making something more usefull?
Right.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish