On Saturday 26 March 2005 20:18, Sherzod Ruzmetov wrote:
There is no use of, nor benefit from keeping "Makefile", "MANIFEST" and
"META.yml" files under version control.
Well, "Makefile" is obviously being generated from Makefile.PL. However,
"MANIFEST" is not. I just tried deleting the MANIFEST, and running "perl
Makefile.PL; make dist". I got an empty distribution. One should maintain
MANIFEST manually.

Thanks for your opinion regarding META.yml.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish
These files can be re-genrated easily using default Makefile.PL. They are
not required during development of the libraries, nor for their proper
functionality, and are only necessary while distributing them. So keeping
them in Verson control is pointless.

--
Sherzod
-----Original Message-----
From: Shlomi Fish
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 1:09 PM
To: Perl Module Authors List
Subject: Should I keep META.yml under Version Control?

Hi!

I'm maintaining several modules on CPAN:

http://search.cpan.org/~shlomif/

At the moment I'm using ExtUtils::MakeMaker for all of my modules. It
generates and maintains a META.yml file that contains
meta-information about
the module. At the moment, I'm keeping it in my version
control repository.
However, it constantly changes and I need to re-commit it there.

So my question is: should I keep it there, or is it entirely
generated from
other files and I can remove it?

Regards,

Shlomi Fish