On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Dean Arnold wrote:

I just saw your note on mysql internals, and suspect your
request there is unlikely to be given serious consideration.
Always a possibility. Maybe they'd be more interested in a patch.
(For the curious, I wrote a message to the MySQL internals
mailing-list proposing a new feature:

SELECT ... WITH TIMEOUT 10;

)
I think your best bet might be to work with the DBD::mysql maintainers
to implement some driver-specific nonblocking versions of
execute/prepare (and maybe fetch), as well as support for
'out of band' cancel.
That's an interesting idea. Right now I'm putting together
DBIx::Timeout which implements my fork()-based timeout in a reusable
package. Seems to work, although I've learned to expect forking code
to have unexpected bugs which take time to shake out.

-sam

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl
postedSep 15, '06 at 10:15p