From: Stephan Harren
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:37 PM
To: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
Cc: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: Re: Logging Question

Close the Filehandle and re-open it after each line.

HTH,

Stephan
Hello Everyone:

I have a Perl script that connects to multiple Oracle databases. I
have the script write some status information to
a log file. There is one particular database that hangs in
processing, and I don't know why. The log file does not seem
to be written until the file is closed.

I am wondering, is there a Perl command or technique that will force
lines that are logically written to a log file to be
physically written to that file?

Here's my opening code:
#
#
# Open Log file
#
my $logFileName = "${HomeDir}/work/monitor/output/logs/db_status.log";
open( LOGF, ">>" . $logFileName ) or die "\nCannot open log file\n\n";
print LOGF "\n----------\n";
print LOGF sprintf("db_status started at %02d-%02d-%04d %02d:%02d:%02d\n",
$Tm->mon+1, $Tm->mday, $Tm->year+1900, $Tm->hour,
$Tm->min, $Tm->sec );

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl
postedNov 9, '05 at 8:40p