Hello Everyone:

I have a Perl script that connects to multiple Oracle databases. I have the script write some status information to
a log file. There is one particular database that hangs in processing, and I don't know why. The log file does not seem
to be written until the file is closed.

I am wondering, is there a Perl command or technique that will force lines that are logically written to a log file to be
physically written to that file?

Here's my opening code:
#
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Open Log file
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------
my $logFileName = "${HomeDir}/work/monitor/output/logs/db_status.log";
open( LOGF, ">>" . $logFileName ) or die "\nCannot open log file\n\n";
print LOGF "\n----------\n";
print LOGF sprintf("db_status started at %02d-%02d-%04d %02d:%02d:%02d\n",
$Tm->mon+1, $Tm->mday, $Tm->year+1900, $Tm->hour, $Tm->min, $Tm->sec );

The line that says 'db_status started...' does not get written for the hanging system because I usually 'kill -9' or 'Ctrl-C'
the process. I'd like to force a write after each section so I can see there the process is hanging.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

________________________________

Michael P. Vergara Be good and you will be lonesome
Oracle Database Administrator Mark Twain
(951) 914-2000 (Voice)
(951) 914-2990 (FAX)
www.guidant.com <http://www.guidant.com/>

Any views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Guidant Corporation.

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl
postedNov 9, '05 at 8:24p
activeNov 9, '05 at 9:38p