On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 04:14:16PM +0200, Alexander Foken wrote:
Hello,

A large Perl application (10^4 .. 10^5 lines of code) has to work with
data on an MS SQL Server 2000 containing Unicode data in NVARCHAR
columns. Perl 5.8.6 (ActivePerl) runs on the same or another Windows
2000 Server (usually english or german). The Unicode data may contain
characters from all over the world, e.g. russian, chinese, arabic or
hebrew, among the usual latin characters. A separate application also
accesses the Database, performs some reporting and expects the data to
be valid Unicode.

DBD::ODBC returns all latin characters, german umlauts and french
accents, but replaces all non-latin characters with question marks
("?", ASCII 63). Also, all data returned from DBD::ODBC has the UTF8
flag off.
I spent three days searching Google, DBI docs and FAQ, and DBI and
DBD::ODBC sources for any hints, but without success.

Any ideas, hints, tips?
I'd suggest you work with the maintainers of DBD::ODBC to fix it and
help save the world.

Tim.

groupdbi-users @
categoriesperl
postedJul 28, '05 at 2:14p
activeJul 29, '05 at 3:44p
websitedbi.perl.org

2 users in discussion

Tim Bunce: 1 post Alexander Foken: 1 post