Is this a normal behavior for execute?
Is there any built-in way to set a timeout on execute, or to force it
to detect connection errors at the tcp level? (I could use the
eval/alarm trick in the application, but it feels rather unsafe)
I'd feel completely safe about eval/alarm, as long as it works reliably
on your platform (and it does unless you have something really obscure
or ornery). I don't think there is anything you can do to set it to
timeout other than an alarm, nor do I think there is a way to detect
things at a lower level (as far as DBD::Pg / DBI / libpq / perl is
concerned, the traffic is simply held up and will arrive someday).

You might also ask on #postgresql on freenode, there are some
smart people there who can give a better answer than I can.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200912171647

groupdbd-pg @