I think “has a META.yml or META.json” is worth keeping in
I'm surprised this one is being discussed at all. IMO, not having a META
file should disqualify the distribution from being considered at all. At
Berlin last year we talked about making it mandatory, and held off "for now"
so the outliers could be fixed. Having META should be non-negotiable for a
well-formed CPAN distribution.
I agree with this, and if the water quality metrics should be complete
and everything should be mentioned, the metric must be included
without doubt. However, I'm less sure if it makes sense to stress it
as a new, small number of water quality metrics just because only
about 3 percent of distributions shipped in 2015 didn't have META.yml
already and the percentage of failing distributions is getting smaller
year by year, so there might be little room to improve for most of the
active authors. Of course, It would help older, possibly abondoned
distributions, but that's a different story.