[top postet]

I agree with all of the reasons and could add even more.

Measuring the take-care of issues automatically would need a
standardization of best practices, e.g.:

- before: need more info, not reproducable, not a bug, wishlist, new feature
- severity: critical, important, normal, minor, cosmetic
- prioritity: asap, release +x, future major release, won't solve

A maintainer should react and take decisions in reasonable time.

Further context as someone maintaining distributions with long-running
issues. There are many reasons an issue could stay open for a long time:

* It requires much more consideration (and could relate to multiple
branches of reference implementation or different steps along the way)
* It's a reminder of a very low-priority issue.
* It's a reminder to rethink a topic.
* It's a low-hanging fruit kept so early contributors could pick it up.
("Up for grabs" issue tag, for instance.)
* It's kept until another issue is resolved.
* It's kept for a while until the original person who opened it will
confirm it was resolved or still exists.
* Someone asked to handle it and they're given their time to do so
(depending on complexity and prioritization).
* Some PRs need - as I describe it - time to ripen. I believe whoever
dealt with that knows what I mean.

It's very hard to judge by issues. Perhaps comments on issues? I believe
issues should at least be commented on (and I'm a terrible offender at
this).