On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 13:23 -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
# from Ask Bjørn Hansen
# on Thursday 25 March 2010 08:55:
But solution to what? Are we convinced there's actually a problem
here?
CPAN has almost 200k files. www.cpan.org says there are "17627
modules". rsyncing a gazillion files doesn't work that well (on the
server). Helping authors remember to delete things that are now
irrelevant from the main CPAN system will make it easier to run
mirrors and keep them fresh.
Maybe CPAN mirrors are more easily updated than via a generic rsync? Is
the burden only network/cpu for checking whether a bunch of old
archives have changed, or does disk matter?
Forgive a lurker, but wasn't that the point of this:

http://search.cpan.org/~andk/File-Rsync-Mirror-Recent-0.0.7/

When I saw that announced, I remember thinking "Yay, large archive rsync
problem solved!" Did it not work out?

-'f