On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Steffen Mueller wrote:
David Golden wrote:
29. Language

Proposal:

Perl 6 is coming. Some code in Perl 6 is already being uploaded to the
CPAN.  A new "language" field is an important part of the structure we
need
to allow Perl 6 to reuse the existing CPAN rather than to try to reinvent
the whole thing.  My recommendation would be that this be an optional
field
with an implicit value of 'perl5' --Jesse
I'm very strongly opposed to the implicit value at least. We can not trust
that the perl6 tools (and most importantly the humans using them) will
always DTRT. A wrongly indexed package in a different language can cause a
fair bit of mayhem. Instead, we should make this mandatory. Remember that
we're inventing a new spec. We can make things mandatory if necessary.
Agreed. If the point of this is to identify perl5 vs perl6 stuff that
slips on CPAN, then defaulting to 'perl5' does't help.

The perl5 toolchain can fill in the mandatory part for us, so authors
won't have to bother.

groupcpan-workers @
categoriesperl
postedOct 9, '09 at 11:55a