On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:51:02PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
A 'FAIL' result doesn't mean "this code is broken". It doesn't even mean
"this code is broken on this version of perl and this OS". It means "it
didn't pass its tests on this particular setup".

That's why in cpXXXan I don't pay any attention to failures at all.
Are you saying you only look for the presence of a PASS, not the absence of
a FAIL, when considering whether to index a distribution for a particular
cpXXXan?
Given a combination of perl/OS that a dist normally passes on, there are
all kinds of reasons that it might occasionally fail, and I doubt that
an old CPAN.pm is even the most common. But it is one of the easiest to
diagnose if someone is using the test reports properly and actually
looking at the details.
I must take issue with "easiest". I've been looking at cpantesters reports
for quite some time as an active maintainer of some commonly-used
distributions, and it's nowhere near easy trying to determine the source of
errors in some reports.