Hello
Which is best tool

to learn the perl at home.

regds,
abhay

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Jonathan Harris
wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Sayth Renshaw <flebber.crue@gmail.com
wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Leo Lapworth wrote:
Hi,
On 27 May 2011 10:26, Shlomi Fish wrote:
On Friday 27 May 2011 09:35:32 Sayth Renshaw wrote:
Which Perl Should I use ActivePerl or Strawberry Perl on Windows?
5.10
or
5.12?
Definitely Strawberry Perl: it is free-as-in-beer, open-source,
free-as-in-
speech, community-driven,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHYPM6e55o shows the steps (although
5.12.3 is out so I must updated that).
and allows you to install stuff from CPAN without
having to resort to a lot of proprietary and costly software from
Microsoft.
ActiveState claim to now includes all the build code automatically or
via PPM (MiniGW / dmake) so you don't need to buy anything from
Microsoft. You can use their PPM modules (already compiled) but the
cpan install tool will also build from scratch.
You should make use of the latest version of perl 5 available for it -
namely
5.12.x , as 5.10.x was recently end-of-lifed, and there's now
perl-5.14.x.
At the moment I'd recommend Strawberry Perl Professional (from
http://strawberryperl.com/beta/) even though it is 5.10 because it has
lots of extra CPAN modules (the ones with tricky install issues)
included, I've been told a Pro version for 5.12 is being worked on and
should be available in a few weeks.

5.14 is being worked on for Strawberry - but my understanding is that
won't have the 'Pro' version for quite a while (unless someone wants
to volunteer to help).

Cheers

Leo

Thanks for the tip especially about strawberry professional, I had
been watching Padre fail too install for the past hour or so on 5.12
and its installed and working by default now.

Sayth