On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:

"7" == 7 <7stud.7stud@gmail.com> writes:
they both read fine in english which is why they we included by
larry.

They don't both read fine. To many people, unless is a confusing construct.
Larry has made plenty of mistakes designing perl.

7> Because unless and until statements are harder to maintain, NO ONE
should
7> use them--least of all beginners.

7> Because unless and until statements are harder to *read and maintain*,
NO ONE
7> should use them--least of all beginners.

wrong again. unless is very commonly used by decent perl hackers. i
teach its use when i can.

Then you are teaching poor coding style.

obviates the need for extraneous ! ops and
reads better as it is one word vs 'if not'

'if not' is two words but it is not more easily understood than 'abaca';
therefore I find your 'number of words' test faulty. I would imagine that
most people have to mentally translate 'unless' to 'if not' anyway.

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedFeb 9, '10 at 12:39a
activeFeb 9, '10 at 7:24a