I keep trying to do this for different things. I have not found a
method I like yet. So here is specifically what I am trying to do
*this time*.

My current customer has been having problems with members dropping out
of various MS Active Directory Security Groups. So I figured I would
toss a bit of code together in my spare time (yah, like that exists).

I have the bit that dumps an LDIF file starting at a particular point
in the AD Tree. Where I am hitting a wall is processing that LDIF
file...

Here is an example of my data (note the blank line separating dn:'s.
,-----
dn: CN=p106730,OU=Scr-Prt,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
====8<---------------- snip
member: CN=trn,OU=Scripts,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
member: CN=uci,OU=Scripts,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
====8<---------------- snip
groupType: -2147483644
====8<---------------- snip
whenChanged: 20040927234946.0Z
whenCreated: 20030401203303.0Z
<<<< Blank Line Here
dn: CN=p101714_mb8,OU=Scr-Prt,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
====8<---------------- snip
groupType: -2147483644
====8<---------------- snip
whenChanged: 20040927234926.0Z
whenCreated: 20020531152229.0Z
`-----

This is what I want to keep for each (blank line separated) dn:.
,----- [ ]
dn: CN=p106730,OU=Scr-Prt,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
member: CN=trn,OU=Scripts,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
member: CN=uci,OU=Scripts,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
groupType: -2147483644

dn: CN=p101714_mb8,OU=Scr-Prt,OU=AB,DC=Stuff
groupType: -2147483644
`-----

I know I can change the record separator to \n\n to get one dn:
section at a time, but how do I then process the individual lines? I
don't seem to ever have any luck setting the record separator back to
\n...

Or am I going about this all wrong? End result, I would like a report
of the members of the security groups daily and a diff of yesterdays
report from todays.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

btw, I am running this on MS, but if you have *nix examples, I can
work with that too.

Thanks again!

--
Tim Musson