On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:20:47 -0700, Rich Parker wrote:

Hi,
I have been watching the thread about the file::copy. I ran into an
issue in the Linux environment that brings a serious question, MAX file
size. Keep in mind the server is running 7.0 RH, we have 7.2 Enterprise
Server also, and we pay for support. But even the RH support says they
can't handle files in excess of 2GB (approx). I was using TAR, GZIP, or
most any functions, I have found that the targeted file is only 1.8GB
instead of being a much larger file, in our case 16GB. This was on a
"/mnt" device, not a local disk. So the COPY (TAR in this case) was from
one "/mnt/" device to another, it did not matter if I used TAR, COPY,
MOVE, or a Perl program, same problem.

Everyone I talked to about this on the various "Groups" only said
"Rebuild the kernel using 64 bit support", but this is on an Intel box
(32 bit?). Have any of YOU seen this problem? I can't be the only person
dealing with large files. Ideas?? How is this issue on later releases??
I am no kernel hacker so take what I say with a grain of salt. The large file size has to do with the addressable space on the disk which to support over 2 gigs you need more "bits" to produce longer addresses, which is I believe why they suggested you add 64 bit support. Its been a while since I was doing kernel builds but I thought there was a specific switch for "large file size", but I thought this was specifically to support partitions of larger than 2 GB not files themselves, but maybe they are one in the same.

Now you mention that the file is 1.8 GB, is that machine readable or human readable, aka is that where 1 KB = 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes? It is likely that your file exceeds the 2 GB boundary if the 1.8 is human readable.

I am not sure about copy, theoretically it should work if the file can be addressed completely, move won't work accross file system boundaries anyways, nor will a 'rename' in Perl. Again because Perl is talking to the underlying kernel theoretically you would need large file support in the kernel first, but then you *ALSO* need it in the 'perl' (not Perl) executable. For instance, perl -V will have something near the bottom like:

Compile-time options: ... USE_LARGE_FILES ...

Though I am also not a Perl internals hacker so I don't know what all this adds, but I suspect it is needed in your case if you do use a Perl script.

To my knowledge this has been fixed in 2.4 or newer kernels (are you running 2.2?), or it was fixed by default from the jump from RH 7.x to RH 8.0.

Maybe one of the real gurus can provide better explanation/help...

In any case you may get better help asking on a Linux kernel list...

http://danconia.org

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedAug 20, '03 at 6:22a
activeAug 21, '03 at 1:21a
websiteperl.org

3 users in discussion

Rich Parker: 3 posts Wiggins: 1 post David: 1 post