Rich Parker wrote:

Hi,
I have been watching the thread about the file::copy. I ran into an
issue in the Linux environment that brings a serious question, MAX file
size. Keep in mind the server is running 7.0 RH, we have 7.2 Enterprise
Server also, and we pay for support. But even the RH support says they
can't handle files in excess of 2GB (approx).
i believe RH 7.1 beta r1 (code name Fisher) which uses kernel 2.4.0 is the
first RH that supports the LFS (Large File Support) extension. your server
running 7.0 won't be able to address > 2GB file. If you have 7.2
Enterprise, why don't you use that instead? If you pay for support, isn't
RH suppose to provide help / instruction on how to get your 7.0 with LFS
support?

if you simply want to know if Perl is able to deal with > 2GB file, you can:

[panda]$ perl -V | grep 'uselargefiles'

and you should see something like:

uselargefiles=define

to see that if perl (the binary) is compiled to use LFS API, use:

[panda]$ perl -V | grep 'OFFSET_BIT'

and if you see something like:

D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

you are in good shape. the easiest solution to get LFS support is to upgrade
your 7.0 imo.

david

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedAug 20, '03 at 6:22a
activeAug 21, '03 at 1:21a
websiteperl.org

3 users in discussion

Rich Parker: 3 posts Wiggins: 1 post David: 1 post