Pfeiffer, Richard [richard.pfeiffer@retek.com] quoth:
*>
*>Wondering what list I should send a question to regarding CPAN modules, in
*>particular, the intitial config file.
*>Ignore the rest of this lengthy diatribe if this is not the correct list.
*>:)

There is no CPAN.pm list sadly but installing modules can be topical on
nearly every perl related list so don't worry about it too much.

*>When I loaded my first module, actually a bundle, I used:
*>perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Bundle::Bugzilla"'
*>
*>It then prompted for a series of answers, ranging from what mirror sites I'd
*>like to use to where gzip, make, etc., are located.
*>Well, since doing that, I have installed a diffent make and am trying
*>desperately wanting/trying to tell perl/CPAN this, but not sure exactly how
*>to go about it. Everytime I run or re-run a module installation, it still
*>runs from the old location and bombs with errors such as:
[...]
*>
*>I see that there are two Config.pm files ( Config.pm and Config.pm~ ) in the
*>perl installation dir located at:
*>/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN
*>I saw that the make setting is located there and I am about ready to try
*>just tweaking it manually by editing those files. However, I can't imagine
*>that's the proper way to do that! Any ideas? Tried install on the
*>CPAN::FirstTime module, but that just returned an "everything is up-to-date"
*>Then I did a recompile CPAN::FirstTime module. Went through everything, but
*>no prompts for locations, mirrors, etc.

http://search.cpan.org/author/ANDK/CPAN-1.62/lib/CPAN.pm

In the pod is a description of all the configuration parameters. If you do
something like

cpan>o conf make <path to new make>
cpan>o conf commit

it should fix the problem. If it doesn't, go in as a last resort and edit
it manually. You can also try the MyConfig.pm tactic which will override
the system config.

There is a 'grok-cpan.pdf' in http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HF/HFB/
that you may find helpful.

And, you may want to get aquainted with
http://search.cpan.org/author/KANE/CPANPLUS-0.036/ if you feel like
giving it a try. It's still in development but it may make your life
easier.

e.

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl