At 02:47 PM 7/30/01 -0400, Jeff 'japhy/Marillion' Pinyan wrote:
On Jul 30, Paul said:
--- Jeff 'japhy/Marillion' Pinyan wrote:
perl -pe '$_ x= !$seen{$_}++' (attributed to some of Larry's genius)
LOL!!! Twistedly brilliant!

Ok, lemme see if I can parse this.....
[correct prognosis snipped]
Is that right?
Yes. I attribute that to Larry Wall, because he wrote something like

perl -pe '$_ x= /pattern/'

to make a poor man's grep. I found that beautiful.
It is beautiful, but I fear it could scare a beginner away. I'd rather
such brilliance were directed to the Fun With Perl list than exposed to
people many of whom are no doubt still wondering whether Perl is a
write-only language.

Which might be a cue for Tim Maher to pipe up and talk about his "minimal
Perl" dialect, if he's here...
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies