Keep in mind that the crypt() function is ONE WAY! You can encrypt, but
not decrypt.

This may sound useless, but what you do is to encrypt what the user sends,
ecrypt it, then compare the encrpted version with the encrypted password.
If the two match, then the password was correct.

Type:

perldoc -f crypt

at a shell prompt to see how to use the crypt function.

Good luck,
Brent

gaga <blievedno1@yahoo.com>
Sent by: To: beginners@perl.org
beginners-return-41-Brent_Michalski=mastercard.co cc:
m@perl.org Subject: how to use crypt() function to
encrypt and decrypt shell user pass

04/16/01 07:47 PM

I need to create simple perl programs that modify
user's password on linux machine (using # usermod)
but I dunno how to use its pass encryption
thanx
or maybe there's another better approach on this

regards

gaga