If you are worried about the Language::Prolog::Yaswi module being a bottleneck, the proper action is to make up a group of test requests and write a script that calls the L:P:Y module repeatedly for these cases. You can then time the number of "typical" requests that can be handled each minute (and you can even compare the results of a "short" request vs. a "long" request). Run each case 100 or 1000 times in a loop.

For the most meaningful results, you should run the tests on the actual server you are using for the website.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steffen Schwigon
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:02 AM
To: perl-ai@perl.org
Subject: Yaswi question

Hi!

I'm about to intermix a Perl web application with SWI-Prolog.
Currently Language::Prolog::Yaswi seems to be useful.

The prolog part ought to solve only one particular problem,
everything else is a mod_perl driven web app.

Now I'm not sure about its performance. I expect about 1 to 3 requests
per second at peak times and I don't know yet how long my prolog
programm will take.

Does Language::Prolog::Yaswi start a new "pl" process for every query?
The README talks about threads, so maybe it already does something
clever about this.

Or is there another recommended way to set up kind of an "swi prolog
application server" (a process that always runs and answers queries,
eg. via .*-RPC), that's accessible from Perl?

(Greeti+Tha)nX
Steffen
--
Steffen Schwigon <schwigon@webit.de>