Grokbase Groups Perl ai January 2004
It was Monday, January 05, 2004 when BUDNEY, DANIEL L took the soap box, saying:
: Guys, I just found this archive by checking Google for my email address:
:
: http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html
: <http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html>
:
: One way spammers pick up targets is using Webcrawlers to search webpages for
: strings in the "who@where.is" format. This page is listed on Google, which
: makes it a publicly-accessible target.

Yes...

: P.S. It would be really nice if the person maintaining this archive would
: remove email addresses from the display.

No no no, you're not identifying /your/ problem correctly. You have a
problem with http://www.mail-archive.com because their subscribed
robot doesn't modify mailing list message bodies before they are
displayed on the internet.

Similarly, any newsgroups you post to (perl.ai, for example) are sent
as-is (including the From: line) to the internet on groups.google.com.

The only way you can be safe, ever, is to never send email to anyone.
Once you send email from an address you should expect spam.

Casey West

--
"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

groupai @
categoriesperl
postedJan 5, '04 at 10:19p
activeJan 5, '04 at 10:26p
websiteperl.org

2 users in discussion

BUDNEY, DANIEL L: 1 post Casey West: 1 post