Grokbase Groups Perl ai April 2002
The same tar-filled brush that swiped AI will
get KM too, becaue again the (hype+bs)/value
ratio is very high. In fact the small pieces of
KM that are worthwhile are based on a variety of
techniques: mostly statistical natural language
processing (This is not a mainstream part of linguistics
for many years, because it does not pay any attention
to even grammar. Rather it is IR (information retrieval)
informed by AI, statistic, data mining, etc.

Teh part of KM that is most like AI has the same
probelms of it doesn't scale in size,
knwoledge from one "domain" doesn't transfer
easily to another domain, etc.

The benefit of the AI namespace is that people
will think to look there.
No one who is not alreadyu aware of the acronym
KM would look there. I too prefer to avoid
acronyms except those that are already deeply
entrenched in the culture -- AI is one such.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin steve.tolkin@fmr.com 617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments 82 Devonshire St. V8D Boston MA 02109