From: Paris Sinclair
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 12:03 PM
To: Tolkin, Steve
Cc: Perl-AI
Subject: RE: An ML:: namespace?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Tolkin, Steve wrote:

I completely agree. Both people who
know AI and its history, and people who do not,
are likely to look for, or at least notice, AI.
ML will not do that.
MachineLearning might -- but that is
not the only possible candidate.
For example to avoid the poor connotations of
"Data Mining" the ACM named its special interest group
SIGKDD, where KDD stands for Knowledge Discovery in Databases.

There are many other terms that cover some or most
of this area -- but only AI has
widespread name recognition.

I agree that adding subcategories below AI can be useful.
But I too would expect AI::ML to be about the language
ML.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin steve.tolkin@fmr.com 617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments 82 Devonshire St. V8D Boston MA 02109

So when you say "but only AI has widespread name recognition," are you
agreeing with the proposal, or disagreeing with it?

--
Paris

groupai @
categoriesperl