Grokbase Groups Perl ai August 2001
My question is, why are you on the AI mailing list?
Because I _am_ one of those AI guys. It's not the grand vision of AI
that's broken, it's the public perception of the term. When someone
says they do "AI" it conjures a whole set of concepts quite different
from the other terms that have been deliberately chosen to avoid them.
"Expert systems" were "AI", but their salesmen chose a different
nomenclature in order to reach different funding source, particularly
in industry. Today "Data mining" may be a buzzword of choice. In
universities departments, papers, and in grant proposals, you will
certainly find the shift, with "AI" virtually disappearing and people
start talking about the problems they are working on, rather than
"strong AI" and the simulation of intelligence. "Bioinformatics" is
a clear example of the naming phenomenon: it's new, it's sexy,
and hey it's informatics. It's more contentful and to the point.

kevin

groupai @
categoriesperl
postedAug 11, '01 at 9:03p