Grokbase Groups Perl ai August 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:15:56AM -0400, lenzo@cs.cmu.edu wrote:
Well, part of the problem is the terminology. AI is dead.
Shit. Guess we'll have to close the list down. :)
The terms today are "Information theory" and "Machine learning."
And "information retrieval". See some of Dan Brian's modules. The trick,
though, is to lose the word "intelligence"; machines can't be
intelligent, despite what Hofstadter thinks. It's all about doing things
in a "human-like" way: how we look through data to find what we want,
how we decide what's important and what isn't, and so on. We don't have
to do that "intelligently", it's just that the tasks supposedly require
intelligence. If you consider the average human who performs such tasks,
it's suprising we suppose this.

--
Ermine? NO thanks. I take MINE black.
- Henry Braun is Oxford Zippy