Grokbase Groups Perl ai August 2001
Well, part of the problem is the terminology. AI is dead. AI overpromised
and underdelivered every time. All human understanding in 5 years,
speech, vision, planning, everything -- it's 5 years off. 5 sets of
5 years later, AI is still playing with toy problems.

The terms today are "Information theory" and "Machine learning." Anyone
on the bleeding edge of the technology looks at the term "AI" and just
laughs a little inside. Information theory and machine learning
mean nothing as labels, but the terms have grown out the of the ashes
of "AI", and imply a lot more discipline and mathematical rigor.

kevin "firebomb" lenzo