Grokbase Groups Perl ai May 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, John Porter wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:46:00 -0500,
in <20001231124600.B1576@min.net>
John Porter wrote:
I'd like to say a little something from my own experience with doing
GA/GP in Perl: Don't. That is, unless you're just doing it for fun,
to see how it might look if written in Perl. If you're expecting to
evolve (:-) a useful, production-quality system, think hard about
your performance requirements. To do a GA/GP system really requires
Yeah, well for me it is more about concepts rather than serious
implementation. I've been hacking perl for half-a-dozen years and be
damned learning PROLOG just for the odd occasion i want to dabble in AI
stuff. Of course, if one day i join the ranks of the 1337 AI programmers
and find myself building the most k-rad killer AI app then i prolly
will look at languages other than perl.

Point taken though about a _long-term_ evolving/learning system - you'd
wanna make your decisions very carefully (and therefore should start
out with a very open mind regards implementation language. Do tests -
go with what works in your particular situation)

I now return you to your regular perl-ai channel of... hrm.. silence! :\

L8rz,
gU5t4F

Net Cens0rship = Book Burning in the Digital Age

Act Now -> http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/alert99.html