Grokbase Groups Perl ai May 2001
To be honest, I think you're asking a bit much of us!

AI is a huge and much disputed field; there are less
authorities, more histories. Yesterday's hyped general
problem solver is today's laughable toy.

I took a Master of Science degree at Sussex, which is
a pretty good place to study, got a good grade and
still feel I know very very little.

The best advice I heard was to read a history of AI
alongside a political history of the USA: I was not
amazed to see the military needs and the MIT budget,
the military needs and the MIT line.

For good bibliographies, check out the MSc introductory
reading lists at www.cogs.susx.ac.uk, http://www.edinburgh.ac.uk/,
and www.mit.edu.

As to doing AI in Perl - you're really much better
off starting in PROLOG, POP-11, or LISP (in order of
my personal preference), and then transferring to a
high-power language like C++ and (ha!) Java.

Perl is, to my mind, for all of it's syntactic
openness, far too slow for any AI projects involving
standard techniques like Artificial Neural Networks
or Genetic Algorithms.

As to the project you mentioned below: it's not clear
to my frazzled brain exactly what you are doing.

You said,

... my interests lye in creating a pole/response
program which can recognize human language and learn
from its inputted data.

I've done this to an extent already ... but I'm sure
that it is no where near the correct or proficient way....

I wouldn't accept anyone telling you you've done it in
an incorrect manner - only an inefficient or ineffective
manner. If you're dealing with speech recognition, you're
up there with the big corps: Bill Gates has frequently
gone on record saying that this is the way forward for
Microsoft and all consumer computer interfaces.

Along with handwriting recognition, this is the prime
application for ANNs - irregular input with a definite
intention, and the ability to progressively "learn".

But I'm not sure that's what you're up to: if you care
to clarify, maybe someone here can give you a hand.

OTOH, you may find the new "learners" list a perl.com
to offer more feedback, though it's very new.

Cheers,
lee

Lee Goddard http://www.leegoddard.com
Perl / XML / XSLT / Java / AI MIDI Music