On Monday 18 October 2004 01:21, Adam Turoff wrote:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 02:22:29PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
I wrote a critique of where Perl 6 is heading. It was published in
Freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1339/
Where you say, in part:

Why Perl 6 is Bad?

No one Understands Perl 6

Having read this title, you are probably thinking to yourself: "So
you don't understand Perl 6. What makes you think everyone else
doesn't? How do you justify this inductive thinking?" Let me tell
you a little story:

One day, I met with a good friend of mine (whom I highly appreciate
both as a person and as a software engineer), and I asked him if he
reads the Apocalypses. He said he does, but that he doesn't
understand them. This eventually made me realize that I also read
them, and also did not understand many things. And neither he nor I
are particularly stupid people. And here's an interesting quote from
the famous Weblog "Joel on Software": "Whenever somebody gives you a
spec for some new technology, if you can't understand the spec,
don't worry too much. Nobody else is going to understand it, either,
and it's probably not going to be important." (Read more at the link).

If you can say this with a straight face, then you must not have
listened to the rationale for Perl6, nor heard the four years' worth of
reiteration of that rationale.

No, no one knows how to program in Perl 6. And that will continue to be
the case for another few years. And, no, this is not a problem.
You are mistaking two things. When I said no-one understands Perl 6, I meant
that no-one understands the subset of Perl 6 that was presented by Larry Wall
in the Apocalypses, and was considered a _final subset_ of the Perl 6
functionality. I wasn't refering to the language as a whole as it is yet
unkown.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il