Having some sort of plugin architecture would be possible and probably
quite nice, though it probably would not be my first priority.
Being able to take advantage of other classifiers seems like it would be a really nice thing to be able to do.  I'd love to put OpenNLP over Mahout or others.

Besides, for testing purposes, if you could plugin the existing capability versus your new rewrite (in Scala) then you could easily compare the two.  I can't imagine the abstraction layer is more than a few interfaces or abstract classes plus a bit of configuration/injection/fill in the blank that allows one to specify the implementation.
+1 for all of the above.

Aliaksandr

groupdev @
categoriesopennlp