Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

I am developping an opensource GPL software FooBark (I am assuming this
name is not used yet, please replace it by whatever is appropriate).

FooBark is a CGI application. It is linked with libmysqlpp.
If the program is licensed under the GPL and you distribute the source,
then you can statically link to any GPL'd or LGPL'd libraries.

MySQL++'s build system doesn't allow static linking right now, but it is
not that way because I'm actively trying to prevent the scenario you
describe. It is simply a limitation of the current build system.
Specifically, the problem is that selecting a linkage type with Autoconf
doesn't affect all of the Bakefile-generated stuff. Static linkage used
to work back when we were using Automake.

I'm not motivated to fix it because I don't believe your scenario is
common. If it were, we'd be seeing a lot more complaints about it.
Since we're not, I'm not going to spend time trying to fix it.

If you fix it, I'll consider the patch thoughtfully.

Before you spend yet more time arguing with me, you might think about
whether your time isn't better spent working on that patch.

groupplusplus @
categoriesmysql
postedMay 17, '07 at 7:54p
activeMay 18, '07 at 2:14p