Hello all,

I just installed MySQL 5 on Mac OS 10.3.9. Now when I try to create a
user using any method it does not work. I read I may have to run the
mysql_install_db script so I did, but I get these results:

mkdir: ./data/mysql: Permission denied
chmod: ./data/mysql: Permission denied
mkdir: ./data/test: Permission denied
chmod: ./data/test: Permission denied
Installing all prepared tables
051027 5:29:02 [Warning] Can't create test file
/usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.3-powerpc/data/24.lower-test
./bin/mysqld: Can't change dir to
'/usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.3-powerpc/data/' (Errcode: 13)
051027 5:29:02 [ERROR] Aborting

051027 5:29:02 [Note] ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

./bin/mysql_create_system_tables: line 766: 674 Broken pipe
cat <<END_OF_DATA
use mysql;
set table_type=myisam;
$c_d
$i_d

$c_h
$i_h

$c_u
$i_u

$c_f
$i_f

$c_t
$c_c

$c_ht
$c_hc
$c_hr
$c_hk

$c_tzn
$i_tzn
$c_tz
$i_tz
$c_tzt
$i_tzt
$c_tztt
$i_tztt
$c_tzls
$i_tzls

$c_p
$c_pp

END_OF_DATA

Installation of system tables failed!

Examine the logs in ./data for more information.
You can also try to start the mysqld daemon with:
./bin/mysqld --skip-grant &
You can use the command line tool
./bin/mysql to connect to the mysql
database and look at the grant tables:

shell> ./bin/mysql -u root mysql
mysql> show tables

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log
gives you a log in ./data that may be helpful.

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Please consult the MySQL manual section: 'Problems running
mysql_install_db',
and the manual section that describes problems on your OS.
Another information source is the MySQL email archive.
Please check all of the above before mailing us!
And if you do mail us, you MUST use the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

I then checked the permissions for the /usr/local/mysql/data/ directory
and it shows:
drwxr-x--- 13 mysql wheel

What am I missing? I installed MySQL using the installer package.

Bruce Martin
The Martin Solution
PO Box 644
Delaware Water Gap, PA
(570) 421-0670
bruce@martinsolution.com

groupmysql @
categoriesmysql
postedOct 27, '05 at 9:38a
activeOct 28, '05 at 6:08p
websitemysql.com
irc#mysql

2 users in discussion

Gleb Paharenko: 1 post Bruce Martin: 1 post