+1 for removing the static.

What is about java.util.logging? Can/Should we use it for 1.2?

IMO it is better to use java.util.logging. Apart from the unusable
default implementation for java.util.logging the reason not to use it
in myfaces 1.1 was the dependency to java 1.4. But jsf 1.2 will only
run with java 5 or higher. So that should not be the problem now. The
default implementation should also not be a problem. IMO it is out of
scope of myfaces. The container vendor is responsible to supply a
better solution as it is done for tomcat. And even if that is not the
case the user might plug its own implementation into
java.util.logging.